View Single Post
Old May 26 2012, 01:49 PM   #925
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral
View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: Prometheus: Ridley Scott returns to Sci-Fi

The Grauniad has a nice article on Prometheus, anchored by a conversation with Lindelof in which he discusses the philosophical underpinnings of the film.

The idea is that 60 years from now, two brilliant scientists will unearth evidence of an ancient alien visitation, including signs on the Isle of Skye that seem to invite humanity out to a distant star system. "Somehow," says Lindelof, "they convince others that this is a worthwhile adventure, so they go out there to find answers to the most fundamental questions we've had since we've had cognitive thought. Like, who am I? Who made me? What is the purpose of my life? That is the jumping-off point. And in all great science fiction and even myth, characters who try to cross a line that should not be crossed often pay very harsh consequences."
"When David Marcus cited the great thinkers of history -- "Newton, Einstein, Surak" -- Newt Gingrich did not make his list." -- 24 January 2012
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote