View Single Post
Old May 22 2012, 09:30 PM   #197
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Vanguard: Storming Heaven by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Mike Winters wrote: View Post
David,

How long did you foresee the final battle taking place over? Hour? Two Hours, half a day?
A matter of minutes. I'd say that from the first shot to the last was less than twenty minutes, maybe even under 15 minutes.

Also, I remember reading that the entire Tholian attack force sent to Vanguard accounted for roughly 20% of their entire fleet. After the Buenos Aries was lost, Khatami noted that roughly 65% of the attacking force had been eliminated.

So once the battle ended, most of the remaining attack force was eliminated. Given that the Tholians lost roughly a fifth of the entire fleet against one cruiser (not including the late comer on purpose) plus three other smaller vessels and a space station in that battle, would this be the reason as to why the Tholians never really engaged the Federation further (militarily) for the "Crimes of the Taurus Reach"?

Mike
Well, keep in mind that Vanguard was an absolutely massive starbase that was built to repel a major siege. Arguably, most of the losses inflicted upon the Tholians were caused by the station itself. But yes, I can certainly imagine that one of the effects of this battle upon Tholian foreign policy would be to persuade the Tholians to shy away from large-scale military engagements vs. the Federation and stick to ambushes and sabotage.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote