View Single Post
Old May 21 2012, 09:44 PM   #138
xylem
Ensign

Re: DS9 Forum Welcome Thread: Hello fellow Niners!

Hi - just thought I'd drop in and say hello. I'm new to the site - have been lurking for about a week now. It's exciting to find a place that's so affirmative of DS9.

Like many, I largely overlooked this series back in the day (I watched it regularly right from the beginning, but TNG was where my heart lay... and DS9 has the distinction of being the only trek I gave up on before it finished - at the time, I couldn't bear the war-focus of the later seasons).

But in more recent years of rewatching, I've found myself more and more drawn to DS9, and amazed at how this series seems to have aged much better than the others. It's not just the larger story arcs, but the way in which DS9 had much to say about the current social/political era, the war on terror etc. It's really hard to believe that it was written pre-9-11, when much of the tenor of the cardassian/bajoran conflict and the recovery from post-terrorism could have been written specifically to address these struggles. I guess that speaks to how universal these themes are... with every new world-conflict, these themes feel as though they were written specifically to reflect it.

Anyhow - delighted to have a place to talk about these things (and about Trek more generally)
xylem is offline   Reply With Quote