View Single Post
Old May 21 2012, 08:17 PM   #20
Sci
Admiral

Re: Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night by DRGIII Review Thread (Spoilers!)

BritishSeaPower wrote: View Post
Excited for this. I'm only a few books away from it in my DS9 reading scheme!

And yes, I'd love to see the Defiant reregistered to the NCC-74205-A. As we've seen/heard form the show runners numerous times, that was certainly the intention, but the budget wasn't there. At the very least, changing it to an NCC.
Well, no. RDM said that his intention was for the second Defiant to be be registered NX-74205-A. I see no reason to get rid of the NX -- Mission: Gamma made it clear that the Defiant is still being used as a testbed for new technologies, and frankly I like the idea that the lead ship of every class always retains the NX registry. I'd just like to see her become the NX-74205-A.

Frontier wrote: View Post
The Enterprise-E crew has been in shambles and constantly swapping in and out for years now,
No, it hasn't. The current crew was put in place in 2008's Greater than the Sum, and has remained in place since. There has been one lead character in Kadahota who left the Enterprise in 2009's Losing the Peace, and she may yet return. Meanwhile, it has been four years (three if you count Kadahota's departure) with the same basic crew in place.

In fact, consider this:

The pre-GttS cast featured in:
  • Resistance (2007)
  • Q & A (2007)
  • Before Dishonor (2007)
The current cast featured in:
  • Greater than the Sum (2008)
  • Destiny: Gods of Night (2008)
  • Destiny: Mere Mortals (2008)
  • Destiny: Lost Souls (2008)
  • Losing the Peace (2009)
  • The Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony (2011)
  • The Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (2011)
  • DTI: Watching the Clock (supporting role)
And by every indication, the current lineup will feature in:
  • The Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night
  • The Typhon Pact: Raise the Dawn
  • The Typhon Pact: Brinksmanship
  • Cold Equations: The Persistence of Memory
  • Cold Equations: Silent Weapons
  • Cold Equations: The Body Electric
Three books published in one year, vs. eight books published over four years, with six more on the way. Three books vs. fourteen books.

It is not only wrong to say that the TNG crew has been "in shambles and constantly swapping out" for years, it is spectacularly wrong to say so.