View Single Post
Old May 21 2012, 04:13 PM   #65
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Re: Janeway in the cases of Quinn and Tuvix

sonak wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
So, I watched Scorpion and The Gift yesterday, and I can't see how anyone coming down of the side of restoring Tuvok and Neelix' lives means murdering Tuvix and is therefore wrong, yet, thinks it was right to murder Seven, in order to restore Annika to life?

Janeway forced the change on Seven, kept her imprisoned and denied her choice, refused to allow her to return to the Borg. Restoring Annika was a far more aggressive action, and Seven had existed for 20 years, Tuvix only for a few weeks (Maybe a couple months?). 7 of 9 had no more choice in being born than Tuvix did, how can you honestly ignore this in her case, but, use it to deride Tuvix' death?

I can't fathom how anyone can come down on opposite sides in both situations. I believe both were the right decision, and it's hypocritical to be in favor of one, but, not the other.

The Borg "Seven of Nine" was the result of a personality rape of Annika Hansen. She was also enslaved to a Borg collective and didn't have the ability to make a competent choice as a free individual.

Had "Locutus of Borg" expressed opposition to being restored to Picard would Crusher and Riker have taken that seriously?
I'm on the side of saying it was right to restore Annika, I just don't see how freeing Tuvok and Neelix is any different. Seven of Nine stole Annika's life, through no choice of her own, and was killed to restore Annika. Tuvix stole Neelix and Tuvok's lives, through no choice of his own and was killed to restore Neelix and Tuvok. Both Annika (through her parents) and Tuvok/Neelix took a gamble (Neelix and Tuvok via using the transporter, and a near impossible accident took place, replacing them with Tuvix)(Annika's parents chose to go into unexplored space, where anything was possible and likely to happen and Annika was replaced with Seven of Nine)

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote