View Single Post
Old May 21 2012, 12:47 AM   #50
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post

I remember being astounded by my first 50MB harddrive. Then again by my 500MB drive, and my 2GB, 200GB, 1TB drives over the past 20+ years. In 1995 I could get on the internet and surf websites using Windows 95 and netscape. Not all that different from how I surf the web today.
There is an astoundingly huge difference between surfing the web today and surfing the web 17 years ago!

When discussing computer technology, things seem to operate in shifts and rises. In other words, technology is linear until a major shift in technology, such as the integrated circuit. I expect we will continue to see linear growth in computing power until the next major shift, be it holographic technology, dna based computing, or something nobody has thought of.

However, denying that changes in technology is accelerating is difficult to do. Humans alive today enjoy technology that couldn't be imagined in 1900. Humans in 1900, however, weren't living all that differently from a technology perceptive than humans in 1800.

Whether the next 100 years will offer the same range of advancements as the last 100 is pure speculation, however.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote