View Single Post
Old May 20 2012, 02:23 PM   #1030
Christopher
Writer

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Kegg wrote: View Post
Ignoring the quasi-spoilers here (as indicated, Awake is three episodes into its UK run) the show started to unspool the two realities as soon as we begin to see scenes where Jason Isaacs character is not present, which we do in both dream worlds. That's a dramatic necessity, obviously, but the longer we stay away from the dreamer the more the idea that either reality is a dream is undermined.
I've made that argument myself on another board, but it was countered that that could just be dramatic license, a deliberate cheat by the writers to get around the limitations of the premise. Remember, this is evidently a show that's had some network-imposed retooling, and for most of its run I haven't been convinced that there was a consistent creative vision guiding it. My preference all along has been to believe that there was something more interesting going on than "one world is real and the other is just a dream," but for quite a while, the show seemed to have settled into that assumption, and it became hard to question it the more that the cases in Green World became blatant, heavy-handed metaphors for the issues Michael was wrestling with in Red World. Fortunately, in recent episodes the ambiguity has returned with a vengeance.

And while the procedural aspect of the show is ho-hum, the family drama is similarly pedestrian. The basic premise remains the show's strong card (and consequently, probably the most fun scenes on a 'character-interaction' level are those of Isaacs and his two psychiatrists).
The pilot was awesome, but I wondered from the beginning whether the premise was really sustainable as a long-form story. I've often felt that American TV has become too restrictive in its formats; there are a lot of stories that get developed as weekly series that would really work better as miniseries or movies-of-the-week, but network TV no longer uses those formats.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote