View Single Post
Old May 19 2012, 09:55 AM   #58
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original)...

^^ I liked "The Sentry." It was actually structured a bit differently than the others, with Kolchak in peril at the start and hurrying to get the story told. It was also a bit reminiscent of "The Devil In The Dark." But my favorite part of that episode was Kolchak's rant about the creatures getting into basements and underground garages and how people needed to know; this really spoke to the core of his personality, and his motivation for doing what he does.

Similarly, my favorite part of "The Knightly Murders" was the scene where he tried to save the girl by shoving the bureau up against the door and putting his shoulder up against it, even though it was clearly hopeless. "Get in there and lock the door, ya dumb broad." An unlikely hero, but a hero nevertheless.

Warped9 wrote: View Post
It seems the last few episodes are running out of steam just before the show got cancelled prematurely. There were originally supposed to be twenty-six episodes, but it just wasn't going to happen.
A long time ago, I subscribed to a Night Stalker fanzine that gave information about episodes that were in development when the show was canceled. Three went to script and are listed on the Wiki page-- and there are excerpts on Darren McGavin's home page. But there were others in earlier stages of development. The only thing I can remember off the top of my head was "The Piasa Bird," which I think was another story based on American Indian folklore. I've still got those fanzines around somewhere; I'll see if I can find them.