View Single Post
Old May 18 2012, 05:46 PM   #157
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

Re: MLB Discussion - 2012 Season

Tom Hendricks wrote: View Post
I watched that the other day, while the 3-1 pitch was a ball. The pitch he was called out on was border line. However I think that Lawrie was still upset about the call before. Unfortunately for him, the helmet bounced up and struck the Ump. I'm sure it was unintentional and four games is a bit much, but thats the way the helmet bounces.
Lawrie threw equipment, on the field, that struck an umpire, while acting and speaking aggressively toward the same umpire. The suspension was completely deserved. He wasn't suspended for showing emotion, or playing hard, or anything like that.

A player is responsible for his actions on the field. Lawrie threw his helmet in the direction of the umpire and it landed really close to the umpire's feet, regardless of the bounce. Unacceptable. If he had thrown it at the dugout and it took the wackiest bounce in recorded history, that's a different story. But being a crying manchild and throwing your helmet down hard within inches of an umpire you are in the process of (and continuing to) scream and carry on at ... no. Can't be allowed. At all.

The bigger issue is with how arbitrary MLB suspension lengths are, more than the action itself. League officials pretty much just conjured the number up out of thin air, which is starting to become quite a noticeable, and disturbing, trend (and further illustrates just how bothersome the termination of Shyam Das is -- MLB doesn't give a shit about due process, it just does what it wants).
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote