View Single Post
Old May 18 2012, 04:55 PM   #212
Christopher
Writer

Re: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in CBS' Sherlock Holmes show

davejames wrote: View Post
Maybe, but we still saw enough to get a good idea of the dialogue, character interactions, and visual style.
No, we saw enough to get an idea of the particular dialogue and interactions that the creators of the promo selected based on the particular impression they wanted to convey. We can't assume it's a representative sample of the whole, because that is not how advertising works.

Not to mention that a pilot episode isn't necessarily representative of the series that follows. Just this past year on one network, NBC, I've seen one show where the pilot was dull and uninspired but the subsequent series was much fresher and smarter (Grimm) and one show where the pilot was brilliant and innovative but the subsequent show got dumbed down by the network to a more conventional procedural (Awake).

So I'm going to follow Holmes's dictum: "It is a capital mistake to theorise in advance of the facts." I'll wait to see the actual show before I decide.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote