View Single Post
Old May 18 2012, 02:04 AM   #15
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Re: Did Voyager have bad continuity?

Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post
exodus wrote: View Post
Violet.Phoenix wrote: View Post

2. I was referring the horrific physical transformation she went through in being turned into a drone. I think that would leave her a little shaken to say the least. You don't just recover from something like that without a little trauma.
You're not considering their mind set upon assimilation.
Picard wasn't prepared for it, the Borg took him against his will.
Janeway gave herself to them willingly. She was already mentally prepared for the assimilation and de-assimilation process. The Borg bent Picard to their will, Janeways mind was never fully connected to the collective. So Janeway her will was still her own. Unlike Picard or Sisko, Janeway didn't fear the Borg. Thanks to Picard and other captains that faced the Borg, it gave her enough insight to know how to circumvent them.
Yes Janeway was mentally prepared and did give herself up willingly for assimilation. She also had a neural suppressant to prevent herself and her away team from being connected to the hive mind, but that does not mean that being turned into a drone was not a horrific experience. Mentally the trauma was minimized due to that preparation, but I doubt that any amount of preparation can minimize the physical trauma.
We've seen many times in Trek that doesn't happen.
We've seen Picard have major heart surgery and walk out the door right after it was done like nothing happened. We've seen Harry Kim walk away from an 8472 infection with no lasting trauma. The only time I can recall seeing physical trauma in Trek is when someone looses a limb or spinal surgery.