View Single Post
Old May 17 2012, 03:23 PM   #45
Vendikarr
Rear Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Vendikarr
Re: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original)...

I always admired Karl. Here you have a guy who has a need to find truths. He's not satisfied to accept the lies society tells us to protect us from the darker side of things. He goes out there and finds out what, often leading to his discovery of the monsters. And his search for truth leaves him open to it and to accepting what he finds.

He's not a macho hero. He would rather someone else fight the monsters, as shown many times in his trying to get the police or others to believe what he knows. But when they don't, he steps up and does what needs to be done.

Much like Peter Falk was Columbo, Darren McGavin is Kolchak, and no one can replace him. Some people are so identified as their character that no one could ever really work in the role. The remake of Night Stalker just proves that point.

If I were to guess, as much as Karl searched for the truth, I doubt his stories ever saw print. The general public just couldn't accept that there be monsters here.

Perhaps Sam and Dean Winchester can come across The Kolchak Files.
"They have to help the viewers let go. Firefly did a movie to wrap things up. Buffy the Vampire Slayer continued on as a comic book. Heroes gradually lowered the quality season by season until we were grateful it ended. - Sheldon Cooper
Vendikarr is offline   Reply With Quote