Thread: "Space Command"
View Single Post
Old May 16 2012, 07:52 PM   #13
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: "Space Command"

What little is shown looks nice. Never really stuck through one of the Star Trek fan films, but given space opera's niche audience a low budget high concept may be the way to go.

As far as 'the influence of lit SF' goes, one thing that was nice about TOS is that it did have a fair number of contemporary sci-fi writers submit scripts, often resulting in the best episodes of the series, like Theodore Sturgeon's "Amok Time" and Norman Spinrad's "The Doomsday Machine", and, of course, Harlan Ellison's "The City on the Edge of Forever" (even with the caveats about revisions, etc.)

The one thing I liked about JMS' Star Trek reboot is he wanted to try and bring that back, which is admirable in theory even if in practice I wondered if he'd actually have got Kurt Vonnegut to return his calls.

Admiral2 wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
^ 2001 was based on Arthur C. CLarke's novel,
People keep getting this wrong.

2001 was not based on Clarke's novel. Clarke wrote the novelization of Stanley Kubricks's movie, while the movie was being produced. They collaborated certainly, but Clarke contributed material to an initial idea by Kubrick.
2001 was actually based on around five Arthur C. Clark short stories, chiefly "The Sentinel" (which contributes basically to the Moon Monolith segment of the film). Another story whose name escapes me was used partly for the Discovery subplot (and loosely for the design), while the remaining three had a pretty minimal impact on the film.

Last edited by Kegg; May 16 2012 at 08:04 PM.
Kegg is offline   Reply With Quote