View Single Post
Old May 15 2012, 07:48 PM   #988
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Here's the description of Cult from Deadline:
After a rash of disappearances and a likely murder, an inquisitive, young female production assistant on a wildly popular television show called “Cult” joins a journalist blogger in investigating the rabid fans of the series who might be re-creating crimes seen on the program, in real life.
And from The Daily Beast:

There's a show-within-the-show which is also called Cult, and which may be linked to the deaths and disappearances of several people who watch the show, viewers who become obsessed with the show's Lost-like mythology and the central figure, Billy Grimm (Robert Knepper). But Billy Grimm is just a character, played by actor Roger Reeves. Right? Or he is a disembodied boogeyman? Or are people preying on Cult viewers and driving them insane? These are some of the questions raised within the pilot episode, in which blogger Jeff Sefton (Matthew Davis) investigates the disappearance of his Cult-obsessed brother and teams up with a production assistant (Jessica Lucas) who works on the show in order to uncover just what is going on.
If there are multiple suspected murders, then this is serial killing. Maybe it's also serial-other-crimes as well - kidnapping, torture - I won't begrudge them that, they need to fill a lot of episodes. Given that they cast Robert Knepper as the mastermind, they won't be holding back on the heinousness of the crimes, because he's the go-to guy for psychos.

In both shows, the problem is the same: how to make this premise work without turning the cult members into dolts or zombies? Either the writing needs to be fiendishly clever or they should go for a supernatural or sci fi angle, even lightly.

Cult
anyway sounds like it's going to get trippy, which is why I think it'll be more successful. The Following looks like it'll get dull and repetitious pretty fast. Maybe people aren't being killed, but spirited away to another dimension? Sure, count me in!
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote