View Single Post
Old May 15 2012, 04:53 AM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: David Brin's latest novel, and a TED talk

sojourner wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
The frequency of change I see from technology sites compared with 5 or 10 years ago is astounding...
Then you haven't been watching technology long enough.

I remember being astounded by my first 50MB harddrive. Then again by my 500MB drive, and my 2GB, 200GB, 1TB drives over the past 20+ years. In 1995 I could get on the internet and surf websites using Windows 95 and netscape. Not all that different from how I surf the web today.

Just because you woke up one day and said "Gee, things have changed a lot in the last 5 years" doesn't indicate a trend. It's just you becoming aware of something that has existed all along.
But as I have said, the tech builds on itself, I'm not discounting past change (itself part of accelerated change of course) but the effect that has on current and future technology is the key for growth.

Yes, I've been following technology for a long time, I've been interested since the 80s (well I was a teenager..) and read futurists in the 90s, and was part of a futurist organization at that time as well, and while I was aware of accelerated tech in general, to me the outcomes were all negative till the last few years...I now see alternatives, as well as the fact that stuff I only saw predicted is actually coming true.

RAMA