View Single Post
Old May 13 2012, 03:08 PM   #154
Christopher
Writer

Re: Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes season 2 discussion thread

Actually, on further investigation, I think I was wrong about that "not in-house" thing I said before. According to IMDb, both shows are collaborations between Marvel Studios and Film Roman Productions. And I've read that the writing on the back half of A:EMH season 2 has been taken over by Man of Action, the group of four writer/producers (Joe Casey, Joe Kelly, Duncan Rouleau, and Steven T. Seagle) who are also the main creative minds behind Ultimate Spider-Man. So the current, more serialized approach to the writing is going to give way after episode 13 to a more episodic approach and a renewed focus on the core team members.

I think that the approach to continuity among animated series is different now than it was before. Back in the '90s, all the DC shows shared a common continuity; the FOX X-Men and Spider-Man shared a continuity; and the syndicated Iron Man, Fantastic Four, and Incredible Hulk were loosely interlinked (though the Hulk series was inconsistent with the Hulk-focus episode of Iron Man). These days, though, the norm seems to be for every show to be in a separate continuity all its own. There's been no continuity among the post-DCAU shows from Warner Bros. like Teen Titans, The Batman, Legion of Super Heroes, Batman: The Brave and the Bold, Young Justice, and Green Lantern: TAS. And of all the Marvel animated shows since 2000 -- X-Men Evolution, the MTV Spider-Man, Fantastic Four: World's Greatest Heroes, The Spectacular Spider-Man, Wolverine and the X-Men, Iron Man: Armored Adventures, The Super Hero Squad Show, Avengers: EMH, and Ultimate Spider-Man -- the only two that share a common continuity are W&tXM and A:EMH, and those only tenuously. (Although there was a bit in a recent USM episode that portrayed the Super Hero Squad world as an alternate dimension.)

So I just don't think it's part of the current mentality of animated superhero shows to have continuity or shared universes between different series. As a rule, every one is in a world all its own.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote