View Single Post
Old May 11 2012, 09:35 PM   #954
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
Enterprise is Great wrote: View Post
Revolution: New Story Details

Our entire way of life depends on electricity. So what would happen if it just stopped working? Well, one day, like a switch turned off, the world is suddenly thrust back into the dark ages. Planes fall from the sky, hospitals shut down, and communication is impossible. And without any modern technology, who can tell us why? Now, 15 years later, life is back to what it once was long before the industrial revolution: families living in quiet cul-de-sacs, and when the sun goes down lanterns and candles are lit. Life is slower and sweeter. Or is it? On the fringes of small farming communities, danger lurks. And a young woman’s life is dramatically changed when a local militia arrives and kills her father, who mysteriously – and unbeknownst to her – had something to do with the blackout. This brutal encounter sets her and two unlikely companions off on a daring coming-of-age journey to find answers about the past in the hopes of reclaiming the future.
Eh--I'm not feeling this--it sounds like a cross between JERICHO and FLASHFORWARD and the idea of a conspiracy-umm-I think we've had enough conspiracy shows.
I can see far more ways for this to be a tedious slog vs. a fun, compelling adventure. There's nothing interesting in the situation, so it will have to depend on the charisma of the actors and whether there's something superdupercool about the "conspiracy" - dangerous things for any series to have to depend on.

A supernatural-tinged Western (that reportedly is beautifully shot) would have been a better bet, because the genre is different from what broadcast has given us lately, and the characters are going somewhere, with a goal. so there's always the allure of what's over the next hill. And they don't have electricity either, if that's some kind of draw.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote