View Single Post
Old May 9 2012, 01:20 AM   #907
Harvey
Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

RJDiogenes wrote: View Post
Well, for one thing, I have don't see how a story set in the 1800s in the American West can be categorized as a Space Opera (but then I don't see how ghosts and goblins can be categorized as Science Fiction ).
Who was talking about space opera? That's a subgenre of science fiction with its own peculiarities. For a film that combines the science fiction and Western genres, Cowboys & Aliens is an obvious but suitable example (although I haven't seen it).

Christopher already tackled your comment about ghosts. The only thing I can add is that Star Wars obviously qualifies as a science fiction film with ghosts.

Okay. I'm not familiar with the film, so I don't know what it is.
The Proposition (2005), which shouldn't be confused with the awful Sandra Bullock comedy, is a revisionist Western from Australia. It has a great cast, was well reviewed by most critics, and is (in my estimation) worth seeing. I haven't actually seen the other Australian example that I've been using, Quigley Down Under (1990), but it seemed perfectly suitable.

You seemed to be suggesting that Westerns could only take place in the United States, which is incorrect. Australian settings are excluded not because of borders but because of geography-- Australia is not part of North America.
I wasn't arguing that Westerns must be restricted to the United States (that would make my argument that films set on Io and the Australian outback were also Westerns rather incoherent). You seemed to be suggesting that line of reasoning (which you've clarified into a slightly more inclusive, but still exclusionary definition of a genre that allows films set in North America to qualify, as long as they take place in your vague conception of the West).

There's no way a Western can take place in Pennsylvania-- that's in the East. Saskatchewan, maybe.
What would you call these films then?

URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_%28genre%29"]Wiki [/URL]has a pretty good definition of Western, although they go off the rails a bit with Space Westerns and stuff.
If you're going to fall back on Wikipedia, then it should be noted that every film I've mentioned is described as a Western on the site. Not that it offers a particularly nuanced or thoughtful version of film genre theory.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote