View Single Post
Old May 8 2012, 07:24 PM   #157
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Re: What SF/F Book Are you Reading? .. Redux

So finished Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny earlier in the week. (The assault on Brin goes surprisingly slow, I'm somehwere in the middle of Uplift War - good times, mind.) Lord of Light is precisely the kind of book it'd be easy to classiy as fantasy - with its heaving drawing on Hindu mythology and battles of the gods, demigods and demons of the underworld - if it didn't throw a lot of science and pseudoscience around to explain most of its miracles and the peculiar underpinnings of its world.

It's an interesting book, refreshingly technology-positive by and by (and with many striking ideas, theologically and conceptually in the world-building) though Zelazny's writing tends to be very florid - the casual punctuations that bring his bombast down to earth again are much appreciated.

Klaus wrote: View Post
Well I finished Stand on Zanzibar at last... wow, what an incredibly detailed and disturbing vision of the present as it might have been predicted in 1968.
Quite. Stand on Zanzibar was one of the best books I read last year (and I read a lot of good books that year.)

I actually thought the book had a gift for characterization. Norman House, Chad Mulligan, there were so many memorable and colorful characters in that, some who only get to be sketched out in a handful of chapters (an old British man trying to connect with a young girl, distinctly incestuous French colonial twins...)

Also:
Christ, what an imagination I've got.