View Single Post
Old May 6 2012, 01:28 PM   #27
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Disappointing DVD releases

ATimson wrote: View Post
23skidoo wrote: View Post
And if Paramount is willing to shell out the coin for upgrading TOS and TNG for HD release, why wouldn't they pay for the effects on TMP:SE to be fixed up too?
CBS are the ones who have the rights to the television shows and are paying for their upgrades, not Paramount.
So? CBS is just a TV network. Paramount spends billions on movies; surely they can spare a few pennies to upgrade one movie. If anything, this matter of semantics utterly exposes how unacceptable it is for them not to have done this already.

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
The whole series, with altered music, is available on Netflix. And it does appear that the UK is finally getting Malcolm in its entirety on DVD this year. So there may be some movement on finally getting the complete Malcolm on DVD.
These days I prefer to see shows released in their entirety in one set rather than piecemeal. Yes, even if it's taken to ridiculous extremes like the 1,200-episode Dark Shadows set that just came out. Malcolm in the Middle is a good example of why they should just do the whole thing at once, same with Black Books (per the earlier comment that the third series was lacking commentaries). The world is still waiting for a 2nd Season release of Better Off Ted. It's not letter-to-the-law of the thread topic, but I would add "no releases of later seasons" as a disappointment for many series. Fans of Kojak and Mary Tyler Moore Show had to wait years before anyone bothered to release later seasons of those shows; I'm actually wanting to see later seasons of Cannon but it doesn't appear likely to happen. That's why I'm glad they released all of Six Million Dollar Man in one set, or Buck Rogers in the 25th Century (initially; they've since reissued just the first season), or even Dark Shadows. They also gave up issuing individual seasons of Law & Order and just put the whole 20 years out at once.

It's expensive, but for fans it's better than waiting a decade.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote