View Single Post
Old May 6 2012, 04:10 AM   #26
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Re: Disappointing DVD releases

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ I always assumed that there wouldn't have to be *that* much done to TMP to qualify it for Blu-Ray release. The effects would have to be 're-rendered'. What exactly does this involve? Not doing them all over again from scratch, I take it. Re-rendering, isn't that a bit like re-compiling a computer program?
Yes, but you have to meet several criteria for it to be applicable:

1) You need to have the original source files. (With the death of Foundation Imaging, they may have been lost.)

2) You need to have the version of the software used to create the files, or they need to open trouble-free in newer versions of it.

3) The source models need to have enough detail in them to be suitable for HD resolutions.

If any one of those three conditions fail - two technical, one time-and-money in the original implementation - then they'll need to be putting a lot more work into bringing the effects up to HD spec.

I know that Pixar had to put quite a bit of time & effort into getting their Toy Story files "modernized" in order to create the rerenders for the 3D releases.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote