View Single Post
Old May 4 2012, 05:03 PM   #298
DigificWriter
Rear Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Venardhi wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
DigificWriter wrote: View Post
Normally this is the last thing on my mind, but the scene where Cap has to shield Black Widow kind of highlighted the fact that she isn't a "real" superhero. She serves a purpose in the story and has her action and heroic moments, but cowering from Hulk and manipulating Loki with tears seems hardly powerful feminist stuff coming from Whedon. By the next one they really need to have a proper female superhero to join the boys tossing punches and flying through walls.

Really my only notable complaint. The movie is goddamn fantastic.
A female character doesn't have to have superpowers for Whedon to make them strong. Black Widow joins Zoe Wasburne, Kaylee Frye, and Winifred Burkle in Whedon's pantheon of non-powered 'superwomen', and is written just as strongly and believeably as them. She more than holds her own against the guys, and is actually one of the best characters in the movie. Her moments of vulnerability in no way make her 'weaker' and in fact only demonstrate her strength.

Looking through the Avengers roster through the years highlights very few superpowered female characters suited for the film treatment, much less their own movie. Wasp would be tricky too, and she might just have the most potential of all of them.
Gotta disagree. Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel would fit very comfortably into the filmic Avengers lineup and is a character who very much fits into the mold of Whedon's stable of superpowered female heroes.
I'm not saying she wasn't a compelling character, but her physical weakness and moments of vulnerability in comparison to the big guys highlighted how much of a boys club it is. It isn't that there isn't a role for her, it just seems that there should be a woman on the team who doesn't need protecting when the real shit hits the fan.
Did you and I watch the same movie? Black Widow didn't 'need protecting when the real shit hit the fan. She kicked ass and took names just as much as the boys, and actually might've outdone them.