View Single Post
Old May 4 2012, 02:54 PM   #15
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: Disappointing DVD releases

Forbin wrote: View Post
The 1980s Mission Impossible Revival series looks like it was transferred from 320 x 240 Youtube videos!
Yeah, I wasn't very pleased with the quality. Thank heavens I have a plasma which is a bit more forgiving on lower-resolution video. Anyone watching this on a full 1080 LCD or LED must find them unwatchable. (It's a reason I chose plasma.)

The one lousy season of WKRP they released suffers from having the actual period rock songs replaced by generic music.

And the above is why we'll probably never see China Beach on DVD. That show was wall-to-wall period music.
Occasionally you will actually encounter recent TV series releases in which this happens to, which I find unacceptable. No TV or film production made in the last decade or more should even consider using a piece of music that hasn't been fully licensed for home video release. We can forgive WKRP and China Beach for not having the paperwork in place because at the time there was never any expectation of a retail market for TV series. But there's no excuse for any show made since about 2000 or 2001 not to be rendered fully intact on DVD or Blu-ray.

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
- The Blu-Ray of ST:TMP - only includes the damn theatrical cut.

Now don't get me wrong, I know WHY this happened - the new EFX were only rendered at standard definition resolution. But there's no excuse for that. They should have known that HD was on the horizon.
So THAT'S why they didn't do it. I was wondering (and not including TMP on my list above was an omission on my part). Same with the music issue - nothing produced since the advent of DVD (never mind Blu-ray) shouldn't be upscaleable. And if Paramount is willing to shell out the coin for upgrading TOS and TNG for HD release, why wouldn't they pay for the effects on TMP:SE to be fixed up too? Hopefully Robert Wise's revised masters still exist and can be upgraded at some point. (I'm usually against revisions to films and TV shows, but given the story behind TMP and the fact Wise never got to release the film the way he wanted it, and was involved in the revision himself, I make the TMP:SE an exception, as opposed to what Lucas has done with his films which is more "tinkering" than "fixing".)

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote