View Single Post
Old May 3 2012, 07:52 PM   #836
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Starz Greenlights ‘Treasure Island’ Prequel Pirate Series

Starz is heading out to the high seas with a straight-to-series order for a pirate adventure drama executive produced by Michael Bay. The series, tentatively titled Black Sails, was created by Jon Steinberg and Robert Levine. The eight-episode drama is set 20 years before the events in Robert Louis Stevenson’s classic Treasure Island and chronicles the adventures of fabled buccaneer Captain Flint and his men.
While I'm not a sword & sandals or even a sword & chainmail genres fan it's good to know
This marks a return to the fantasy/adventure genre for Starz, which started off its original scripted series efforts with Spartacus and Camelot
[Michael Bay]
he will not direct the series, Bay has developed the visual idea for what the show would look like.
Jericho and Human Target creator Jon Steinberg created the drama and will serve as showrunner. Bay will exec produce alongside his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form
Black Sails will begin production later this year at Cape Town Studios in South Africa.
Black Sails is one of four high-profile pirate drama series projects in the works. But while it had been kept under wraps until now, Black Sails was actually set up at Starz in December 2010,
4? I hadn't heard. I guess that is why
"...The series is also a property we believe will appeal to the global content marketplace with broadcasters around the world.” The latter is important to Starz because, like with the Spartacus franchise and Magic City, Starz owns all domestic and international rights to Black Sails.
With Pirates of the Caribbean coming out in 2013 and 2014 at the cinema there are always genre fans worldwide...

source
Unless NBC & Fox are going to do co-productions I think the Starz show will be better since they will do 8 episodes instead of 24 or even 13. I think it goes along with the British way of making TV under 13 episodes for a reason.
Also if Starz complete post production on all 8 episodes of Black Sails before the first even airs then there is no outside influence of ratings and viewers comments on the series other than focus groups watching the pilot.

also mentioned on Starz slate for historical period dramas but not quite fantasy are:
Starz's Marco Polo scripted drama from Young Guns' John Fusco at the network, which was also ordered straight to series.
and
Starz also has David Goyer's Da Vinci's Demons, a historical drama about the Renaissance artist-inventor as a 25-year-old, due next year.
The cabler also is developing Harem, a potential six-hour miniseries exploring the Ottoman Empire with scribe Ann Peacock
2nd source

Last edited by jefferiestubes8; May 3 2012 at 08:09 PM.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote