View Single Post
Old May 2 2012, 05:52 PM   #247
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Updates on the International Numbers for The Avengers and they are crazy good still!!! The current tally stands at $260.5m thus far after 8 full days in International release!! Could this hit $300m internationally before it opens officially on Friday in North America?!!

Yesterday alone The Avengers made $42.3M overseas from 41 territories, bringing the total through Tuesday to $260.5M.....Overseas, Thailand & Singapore opened yesterday on their National Labor Day holiday and set not only the highest opening day in industry history, but also the highest grossing single day of all-time.
Also in the piece is an uptick from Fandango
Fandango reports a surge in advance ticket sales for The Avengers which is scooping up 94% of today’s pre-sales. Marvel’s superhero ensemble is currently outpacing last summer’s blockbuster Transformers 3: Dark Of The Moon at the same point in that film’s sales cycle.
My original thought as that by releasing international first they would basically "trick" that large population who would turn to piracy by making it available there first thus forcing them to pay up vs download.
Now I'm thinking it could be two fold. The industry loves domestic holiday weekend openers. It's why Memorial Day, July 4th, Thanksgiving and Christmas are coveted slots.
The first weekend in May has been the de-facto start of summer domestically for some time now but internationally there are a few holidays just before. We saw the Australian one timed with Avengers and this piece mentions it was timed in Thailand & Singapore as well to open on national holidays.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote