View Single Post
Old May 1 2012, 09:46 AM   #6
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

Re: DS9 Season 10, ep 10x17 - "Reservoir Ferengi"

ACT FOUR

FADE IN:

43 EXT. SPACE

The view of the Urwyzden system as seen at the top of the episode. Calm and peaceful at first. An orbital weapons platform sits peacefully in orbit of one of the blue and glittering worlds. An on-screen caption says:

THREE MONTHS AGO

A passenger shuttle from one of the other worlds glides by. The platform comes to life, BLASTS the shuttle with phaser fire. The ship is destroyed, ripped to bits, no survivors.

44 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė BRIDGE

Pel sits in her pilotís seat at the front of the bridge, watching this explosion on the main viewscreen. She is absolutely horrified.

PEL
Unbelievable...

Behind her in his captainís throne, Gaila grins with glee.

GAILA
In what way? We did come here
for a most profitable on-going
military escalation, didnít we?

45 INT. URWYZDEN GOVERNMENT OFFICE

The three tiny Urwyzden ministers now face each other over their grand table. The view outside is now peppered with small explosions and damaged buildings.

MINISTER 1
Murderers! This is unprecedented
and unacceptable! No Urwyzden
has ever declared war on another!

MINISTER 2
Declared war?! We are victims of
your madness!

46 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė GAILAíS CABIN

Just as palatial and extravagant as Bruntís, if not more so. Gaila sits at his comm panel, listening in with glee as the arguing voices of the Urwyzden monitors come in over the channel...

MINISTER 1 (comm)
Is this some kind of attempt
at a takeover of the Board?

MINISTER 2 (comm)
It is clear that some members
of the Board need to be let go!

All of this is music to Gailaís lobes. He turns to Lok, who lurks ominously behind him. The Breen rumbles an electronic question at him...

GAILA
Exactly as planned, Lok. Hereís
to exploiting the weak for fun
and profit!

He raises a glass, and breaks into laughter.

47 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė GAILAíS CABIN

Brunt just happens to be walking past the door as he hears the sound of Gailaís laughter echoing into the corridor. He doesnít like it. It worries him.

48 EXT. URWYZDEN PLANET SURFACE

The gorgeous Urwyzden scenery, now half-way between the peaceful splendour it was and the devastated warzone it will become. One of the small Ferengi shuttles zooms down towards the shuttle port as fighters zoom out of it...

49 INT. URWYZDEN GOVERNMENT OFFICE

The Alphan minister is now alone in the grand office, and greets Gaila and Brunt with relief and enthusiasm.

MINISTER 1
Welcome, my friends! It seems I
was wise to make those purchases.

GAILA
You know it makes sense.

MINISTER 1
And continues to do so. I shall
have on-going business with
you, I think. Our own military
is still in its early stages...

BRUNT
How goes the war?

MINISTER 1
Obviously weíre doing our best
to ensure it doesnít interfere
with business. We have also
begun interning Beta and Gamma
citizens in conditioning camps
to be sure of their loyalty.

50 INT. SHUTTLE

On the trip back up from the planet. Pel pilots, while Gaila slavers over his new contract and Brunt sits nearby.

GAILA
I like that. These Urwyzden are
the best kind of customers.
Theyíre running the war properly.
Taking it to heart. Theyíll keep
us in profit for life.

BRUNT
The only problem with anything
thatís for life, is that itís
only for the living.

GAILA
Youíre not going all hew-mon
on me, are you?

BRUNT
Of course not!

But underneath heís not so sure. He exchanges a glance with Pel. Neither likes the way this situation is going...

51 EXT. SPACE

The Golden Handshake sits in orbit of a little moon on the edge of the Urwyzden system. The on-screen caption says:

TWO MONTHS AGO

52 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė BRIDGE

The door opens and Lok stomps onto the bridge. Gaila is in the captainís throne. They are the only two there.

GAILA
What is it, Lok?

Lok buzzes a warning.

GAILA
What? Brunt and Pel? Donít be
ridiculous. You must be joking.

Lok buzzes again.

GAILA
No, I suppose you donít.

Lok walks over to the screen at the back of the bridge. Gaila gets up and follows him. Lok pushes buttons, and the screen comes to life with the recording of Brunt and Pel in the showroom. Another clip of them sitting together in the mess hall, then as they walk together through the shuttle bay. And so on. With each clip, Gailaís dismay grows.

GAILA
What am I to do with them?

Lok rumbles his suggestion.

GAILA
Lok, you took the words right
out of my mouth. Ah, well. I
suppose itís that time again.
Time to lay off the workers.

Lokís response manages to express his powerful joy at the prospect. The towering Breen stomps back out of the bridge again, eager to get to work.

53 INT. SHUTTLE

Pel is alone, driving the shuttle with a new shipment of weapons down towards one of the planets. Sheís quite happy doing her job, not a care in the world.

Thereís an alert on her panels, and she checks. She nods with understanding and relief Ė itís nothing.

54 EXT. SPACE

The shuttle is approaching one of the unmanned defence platforms, currently inactive.

55 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė SHUTTLE BAY

Lok stands at a control panel in the shuttle bay. Readings are passing over his screen. He presses a button...

56 EXT. SPACE

The defence platform suddenly turns, bursting to life, and FIRES on Pelís shuttle.

57 INT. SHUTTLE

Chaos and explosions as the shuttle is fired upon. The windscreen shatters, spider-cracks spreading. A forcefield pops into place, but thatís the least of Pelís worries. Her console is on fire, instruments are dying, and the planetís surface is approaching fast.

She panics, using all her piloting skills to keep the shuttle under control as best she can...

58 EXT. URWYZDEN PLANET SURFACE

The tiny shuttle plummets to earth, a burning meteorite surging towards the ground...

59 EXT. URWYZDEN PLANET SURFACE - WOODS

A squadron of the black-armoured soldiers from the opening scene are approaching through the woods, weapons held out in preparation. They all pause in shock as they see...

The burning wreckage of Pelís shuttle on the ground.

60 ON SHUTTLE

The wreckage is open enough to the air to see Pelís injured but alive body in the pilotís seat. The Urwyzden soldiers approach with caution, begin stepping into the wreckage...

SOLDIER 1
Sheís a Ferengi! The Ferengi
are important to the Prime
Minister. If sheís hurt...

Pel groans, making it clear sheís alive. Another soldier has found something else in the wreckage. He holds it up for the others to see Ė itís a rifle. It looks similar to the ones the soldiers are carrying, but not identical.

SOLDIER 2
That weaponís Betan. But this
is one of the people who supply
us with weapons.

SOLDIER 1
Who says they supply only us?

The soldiers looks between themselves, worried...

61 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė BRIDGE

Gaila sits in his captainís throne. On the main viewscreen is the Urwyzden Minister 1...

GAILA
Prime Minister! I must warn
you! I have uncovered evidence
that one of my crew has been
stealing from me, and may be
trying to sell to one of the
other colonies. Iíll transmit you
the details of her ship now...

MINISTER 1 (screen)
No need. The vessel to which you
refer has already been shot down.

The screen shifts to show an image of the shuttle wreckage, with Pelís body visible within it. Gaila smiles...

62 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė BRUNTíS CABIN

This same image is on the screen in Bruntís quarters, as he listens in to the conversation. He sneers, furious...

BRUNT
So... Gaila is betraying his
own crew. Time to look after
number one.

63 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė SHUTTLE BAY

Bijon is hauling a large box of mechanical parts across the shuttle bay, by hand. The door opens and Brunt enters, oozing false camaraderie for the gentle giant.

BRUNT
Bijon! You look tired. Havenít
you had a lunch break today?

BIJON
Iím alright. Iíll just get this
manifest loaded, then Iím done
for a bit. Iíll have lunch then.

BRUNT
Oh, but you know what? I just
discovered the most exquisite
tube-grub casserole in the
replicator menu. Itís the best
Iíve tasted outside Ferenginar.

BIJON
Ohh... that does sound good. I
like tube grubs.

BRUNT
You wouldnít be a Ferengi if
you didnít like tube grubs.

BIJON
My father doesnít like them.

Brunt restrains himself from making a comment.

BIJON
Are you coming too?

BRUNT
No no, I just ate. Oh and Bijon?
Why donít you check with Voloczin
that the remote control for the
Alphan drone weapons is working
correctly? I thought I noticed
some degradation the other day.

Bijon nods to himself, slowly recording each word in his memory. He wants to get this right.

BIJON
Okay, Iíll ask.

Bijon leaves. Brunt watches him go, tense and nervous...

64 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė MESS HALL

Bijon enters, innocent as always. Voloczin is draped over one table. Lok and the other two Breen are sat at another. Bijon goes over to the wall of replicators, but then turns back, suddenly remembering that he had to ask something.

BIJON
Oh, Volo... are the, um, what
are they called, the remote
control for the drone things,
are they working alright?

Voloczin jerks, surprised. The three Breen look up from their table, equally curious and wary.

VOLOCZIN
The what?

BIJON
The remote control things.

VOLOCZIN
Oh, er, those... well, ya see
mate, the thing is...

Lok stands suddenly, snapping a sharp electronic command.

VOLOCZIN
Righty-dokey, skip.

In a terrifyingly fast move, Voloczin leaps right off the table and straight at Bijon. His thick, muscular tentacles spread wide, revealing the wet, gnashing mouthparts on the pale fleshy underside. The mouth comes right for Bijonís face, the tentacles wrap around his large body...

Caught by complete surprise, Bijon struggles against Voloczinís crushing grip. He wraps his own powerful hands around the tentacles and pulls, but they donít move. His SCREAMS are muffled as the mouthparts start to BITE...

65 INT. GOLDEN HANDSHAKE Ė GAILAíS CABIN

Those muffled screams sound through the comm system as Brunt stands inside Gailaís quarters, a wall panel open and his fingers working like lightning over the controls. Brunt grimaces at the sound, but keeps working. He feels sorry for poor Bijon, he didnít want to have to do that to him, but it was necessary. He gets on with the work.

On the screen inside the wall panel, a face-shot of Gaila comes up, and next to it, the word URWYZDEN. The rest of the screen is taken up with constantly changing information in the hexagonal Ferengi language. As Brunt reads on, he grows more and more disgusted.

But then the sounds on the comm change. A body thumps to the ground, and the Breen electronic rumbles get agitated. Brunt quickly shuts the panel and hits a key on his padd. He dematerializes in a Ferengi transporter swirl.

The next instant, the door opens and Gaila and Lok stomp in, both furious.

GAILA
Bijon never would have thought
to ask that question on his own.

Lok buzzes his opinion on the matter.

GAILA
Exactly! Which means Brunt is
betraying me. Damn the FCA!
Where is he now?

66 EXT. SPACE

Bruntís tiny shuttle races towards the planet and away from Gaila at top speed...

67 INT. URWYZDEN WAREHOUSE

A large warehouse space in the cold arctic areas of the planet, draughty and unpleasant. Two Urwyzden soldiers drag a body towards us. As they drop it to the ground with a sneer, we see that it is Pel, withered but alive.

SOLDIER 1
There you go. She sold weapons
to the Betans. And that means
the Betans can kill us.

SOLDIER 2
Make it slow and painful for
her. Maybe cut off her ears?

BRUNT
I promise you, Iíll be getting
dividends out of my anger.
Every last slip.

Chuckling, the Urwyzden turn and walk away. Brunt crouches down to Pel, tries to look after her. She croaks up at him.

PEL
Thank you...

BRUNT
Donít thank me. Iím just doing
what an FCA Liquidator should
do to a Ferengi who banks off-
world and cheats the Nagal
treasury of its lawful share.

As Pel realizes that Brunt is talking about Gaila...

FADE OUT:

END OF ACT FOUR

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote