View Single Post
Old April 30 2012, 02:22 PM   #151
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile
Re: DTI: Forgotten History by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Overall I enjoyed the book very much. I will admit that I was expecting a bit more of a presence from the "present day" DTI members, but I certainly did not feel the book was lacking in anyway. I am especially something of a Geek for books that fill in blanks in Trek history or connect dots. Seeing the mission to the past that led to them meeting with Gary 7 as a logical outgrowth of their previous accidental trip was one of those lovely "Well of course, why didn't I think of it before" moments.

There was one thing that I found a little disturbing personally...

But one thing Lucsly knew: uncertainty could be fatal for a DTI agent. Maybe that was the value of the myths that had grown up around the department's origins: they replaced messy reality with clear, inspiring messages. Just as the myth of Meijan Grey motivated Lucsly and his fellow agents to guard the timeline with quiet, solemn discipline, so the myth of James T. Kirk served as a cautionary tale, reminding them of what was at stake if they ever relaxed their scrutiny.

"Trust Kirk?' he finally said, "Not a chance. The man was a menace. I had to use all my training and control to avoid revealing any unnecessary information about the future. If I hadn't ridden tight herd on him every step of the way, we would've all been doomed. In fact, I wonder just how many other temporal crimes Kirk managed to keep out of the history books..."
While I certain appreciate the value of mythology Lucsly seems to go beyond merely acknowledging it's value into the realm or repudiating accepting the fact that there are deeper realities that go beyond and often contradict mythology because he is unable or unwilling to deal with the inherent complexities.

While uncertainty might be fatal in certain context for a DTI agent, too much certainty leads to fascism which in my observation is fatal for all concerned. It leads to things like walking down a row of peacefully sitting protesters and pepper spraying them. It leads to raids on the homes of citizens for the "crime" of daring to speak out against actions taken by their government that they believe to be wrong.

My hope is that if we get a chance to see Agent Lucsly again in the future that he might be forced to confront the inherent danger in too simplistic a worldview and to realize the tragic consequences it can bring about.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote