View Single Post
Old April 30 2012, 12:43 AM   #653
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: THE HOBBIT (2012/2013): News, Rumors, Pics Till Release

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Besides dumping Stuart Townsend after filming began, Jackson scrapped several weeks of work on the Battle of Helm's Deep when he decided that Arwen shouldn't be there, and then there were extensive reshoots in early 2002. If the past is any guide, Jackson has no problem throwing work out and starting over.
That is true, but in this case it would mean refilming the entire picture if the way he shot it is not compatible with "acceptable" showing at 24 fps (sort of like how many have reported that 2-D versions of movies shown with 3-D projectors look dark and muddy. I saw that first hand when I attended a 2-D screening of Harry Potter Deathly Hallows 2 and it looked like crap.)

I didn't much care for the "suck it up" attitude Jackson displayed in his response to the critics. I think I'm gonna just say screw the Hobbit now, regardless.

DarthPipes wrote: View Post
I just hope Jackson doesn't screw things up with his ego. His record since the trilogy hasn't exactly been impressive. The only good thing he's been part of is being a producer for District 9.

The only reason The Hobbit is two films is because of money. That's it. The book itself is less than 300 pages long. It should be one movie and I wish it was. Hopefully they can add some good new stuff in there. Bt he's also the same director who decided that a 90-minute film like King Kong should be a three-hour plus "epic." 45 minutes on a fucking boat to get to Skull Island should tell you a lot about how he makes films...
I'm surprised we haven't heard more from the Tolkien diehards (as well as the Tolkien family) over this. There was hell to pay when Jackson cut Tom Bombadil from the trilogy and parachuted in some odds and ends from Silmarillion. Here he appears to be likely to make some major changes to the book (I don't recall various LOTR characters being in the original, for example) in order to stretch it out, and at least as far as I've seen people are being silent about it. If anything I expected to see some purists* rubbing their hands with glee over the PR black-eye the film just got.

Alex

*Not meant in a derogatory sense; I just didn't want to use "diehards" again.
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)

Last edited by 23skidoo; April 30 2012 at 01:05 AM.
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote