View Single Post
Old April 27 2012, 12:45 PM   #36
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson
Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

23skidoo wrote: View Post
I did read the first few chapters and decided I like it a lot more than Coming of the Terraphiles (which lost me after 50 pages) so I'll have it read before too long, I'm sure!
Page 50 is about where I was ready to give up on Terraphiles. It wasn't bad to that point, but it wasn't what I was expecting. I was expecting trippy space opera, I wasn't expecting an extended Wodehouse pastiche. I was also expecting the Doctor to be more present; in the first fifty pages, the Doctor and Amy are supporting characters. It's around page 100 that Terraphiles kicks into gear and the Doctor does something more than have an extended vacation. At that point, it becomes very Who-ish.

Why not start the book at that point? Because there's a reason for the first hundred pages. Moorcock is setting up his world and the way it works. It's very Robert Holmesian, in a way, not unlike the first episode of "Caves" where you spend most of your time learning about Androzani Major and Androzani Minor.

I quite like Terraphiles. I struggled with it at first, but once it starts to move, it really moves. And I enjoy the fifth season more because of Terraphiles; Moorcock's book meshes well with the overarching plot of the fifth season and adds some new wrinkles.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote