View Single Post
Old April 25 2012, 07:30 PM   #51
Crazy Eddie
Rear Admiral

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

RAMA wrote: View Post
according to UN data, the world is more prosperous than in the entire history of humankind
Good for "the world." But you're smart enough to realize that this could still be true even if two billion people were eating out of dumpsters. A massive growth of prosperity doesn't mean much if it isn't evenly distributed among the broader population.

And it hasn't been. The majority of it has been concentrated in a collection of highly industrialized nations and in a handful of regions in which they are heavily invested. Meanwhile, there are 600 million people in the world who are having a really good day if they get to eat anything at all.

I also pointed out already that the stock market is undervalued by a massive amount, and if this wealth was appraised correctly, it would add trillions to the world economy.
Which sort of underscores my point, doesn't it? How many people in the world actually participate in the stock market, let alone derive a significant portion of their wealth from it? Those trillions of dollars would end up in the hands of a handful of enormous multinational firms and a few thousand extremely well-connected politicians and investors. That leaves the rest of us S.O.L.