View Single Post
Old April 24 2012, 11:07 PM   #6
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Re: Kolchak: The Night Stalker (original)...

Warped9 wrote: View Post
I'm jumping the gun here by a few days, but I've placed the order and I'm waiting for the original TV films and the series set of Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I'm looking forward to it because I remember quite liking this back in the day and recall being disappointed it when it wasn't renewed.
The Night Stalker is a favorite of mine and Kolchak is one of my all-time favorite characters, so I'm going to be unapologetically prejudiced in his favor.

At the same time I've also ordered The Prisoner series set. This is a series I've heard much about over the years, but I've never seen anything of it other than the opening sequence. Can anyone tell me how this compares with Danger Man, also known as Secret Agent Man in the U.S.?
Aside from fan speculation that Number 6 is Drake from Danger Man, there's not much connection. The Prisoner is all about mind games. My favorite episode is "Many Happy Returns." I can't wait until you see that one.

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
This is the part where I mention that the original Kolchak tv-movies were written by Richard Matheson.
You probably know this, but he actually wrote three of them; in addition to the two that were filmed, he wrote The Night Killers, which was set in Hawaii (I read somewhere that this would have been used as a two-parter if there was a season two). There's a nice, but expensive, hardcover (numbered and signed) of all three scripts; I love Kolchak enough that I actually shelled out for it. I first heard of it when Matheson mentioned it in any interview with Twilight Zone back in the early 80s. I actually wrote to him and asked him if I could buy a copy from him; he very politely replied that if he still had a copy it would be too much trouble to look for it.