View Single Post
Old April 24 2012, 10:43 PM   #32
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

Rarewolf wrote: View Post

Surprised you missed it, that was out before Stones, read by John Leeson.
I did miss it (scuttles over to Amazon....)

(...scuttles back because I haven't hit Submit Reply yet...)

With the two new David Fisher adaptions of his two scripts - its just that - they are his scripts. They could go back to the source rather than employ someone new.

Personallly I'd quite like to hear Bob Baker re-novelise Armageddon Factor, he's never written a Doctor Who novel.

I do wonder how they will tackle some of the smaller classics though. A Boxset perhaps?
I agree, if they're going to do it, then this is the right way to go about it. Especially in the cases of writers who express regret at not doing so before (which I believe is the case with David Fisher). The only problem is the versions by Dicks, Marter and the other house writers are also a part of the history. I'd actually rather see readings of the original books included as bonus items (maybe MP3 files) so one can compare. I mentioned earlier I wasn't that thrilled with Fisher's adaptation of Stones of Blood. I've seen a few folks comment that they liked Dicks' version better. Just because you can write a good story for TV doesn't necessarily mean you can write a novel. That said, I won't write off Androids of Tara out of hand just because I didn't care for Stones of Blood.

A box set would be a great idea, but probably themed. A natural choice would be the four Trial of a Time Lord novelisations (now that's a candidate for a redo as the original novelisation for Mindwarp is still infamous for its "Peri as WWF wrestling valet for Yrconos" epilogue!) I assume none of them have been done yet (or maybe they have as I know they've done other Colin Baker stories and even some McCoys so they're not sticking with the older books).

Alex

(NOW he scuttles over to Amazon...)
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote