View Single Post
Old April 23 2012, 12:11 AM   #131
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Harvey wrote: View Post
Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
^^ Zardoz is another example. TMP has a lot of that as well. I've often wondered what direction science fiction movies would've taken had Star Wars not been made.
I think Alien and Blade Runner are big contributors to the used aesthetic as well, perhaps even more so than Star Wars, which spent a lot of time on the Death Star, a rather sleek and sterile environment.

Of course, if Star Wars hadn't been made, 20th Century Fox wouldn't have fast tracked Alien, and if Alien hadn't been made, Ridley Scott probably wouldn't have been hired to do Blade Runner. I guess it all does go back to George Lucas.
I remember reading an essay by Samuel Delany many years ago in which he praised Star Wars for proving that big-budget science fiction movies didn't have to be sober cautionary tales about dystopias and doomsday. If nothing else, Star Wars reversed the trend set by Planet of the Apes, Logan's Run, Soylent Green, Rollerball, Omega Man, Silent Running, Colossus: The Forbin Project, etc. It made science fiction movies fun and appealing again.