View Single Post
Old April 21 2012, 06:26 PM   #40
throwback
Captain

Re: What are your top 5 technologies of the next 15 years?

This question I feel assumes that society will keep progressing. There are studies that indicate our society and others may be heading to a major crisis by 2030 (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7951838.stm). I hope they are wrong, and that our society and others will continue to progress.

I do believe that many advances will arise in countries outside the US. Our education system is in crisis as states cut funding, layoff teachers and increase class size, and the colleges and universities raise tuition to make up for the deficiency in their budgets. I find it troubling for our nation's future is that when the good times do roll in that states never ever return funding to education. So, with each crisis, the funding for education gets smaller. Equally troubling is that educated people, especially on the conservative side, are on a downward trend when it comes to believing in science and math. Decades ago, these people had more faith in science and math, and supported major initiatives which later benefited our society.

I think it's important to keep these facts in mind when thinking of what the next advances will be. For myself, I don't know what the next advances may be. I am just attempting to survive from one day to the next.
throwback is offline   Reply With Quote