View Single Post
Old April 21 2012, 12:35 PM   #518
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: Movies Seen in 2012

11. "War Horse" (2011) C + Jeremy Irvine, Emily Watson, Peter Mullan, Niels Arestrup, Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch. Directed By Stephen Speilberg. The adaptation of the 1982 Children's novel, there is of course the famous stage play. I was not interested in this film at all when it came out. Pretty much ignored it for the longest time. My parents have seen the excellent stage play (the West End version in London) and ended up seeing this On Demand, and I finally broke down and watched it the other night and ended up really enjoying it. Speilberg has the ability as a film maker and storyteller to evoke emotion from his audience when he's really into the story and characters of a film he directs, while I didn't think his direction was exceptionally stellar, he did an incredible job of directing the horses, especially "Joey" the titular character. You really get swept up in the connection of his journey. Plus it is exceptionally shot, the cinematography is simply beautiful. John Williams score is typical Williams excellence as well. I'd recommend it. I didn't think i'd like it at all, but glad it changed my mind.

12. "Shame" (2011) A Michael Fassbender, Carey Mulligan. Directed By Steve McQueen. Fassbender plays a man struggling with a serious sex addiction. This film is dark, moody and slow in some places, but the fascinating thing about it is the character study of Fassbender's Brandon as he deals with his visiting sister Sissy (Mulligan) and continues to try and hide his addiction. Beautifully shot, written, and acted. Fassbender was truly outstanding and it is great to see him and Mulligan continue to become superstars. I'd see this for sure. You might lose patience with it if you don't like slow paced films, but try to stick with it!

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote