View Single Post
Old April 21 2012, 03:47 AM   #35
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

There are 25 reviews in at Rottentomatoes now and the first 'Rotten' has turned up. The reviewer submits their entry as either 'fresh' or 'rotten' and he gives it 3of5 stars. I wonder if he hit the wrong radial button on his submission form? 3o5 doesn't sound rotten to me.

boxofficemagazine.com - 3 of 5 stars, *rotten*
The Avengers almost works. It's funny and it's physical, but even at two and a half hours, it plays like it's on fast-forward. Forget character development—there's not even character explanation. The lesser Avengers are most slighted. After two movies with Black Widow and Hawkeye, I know less about them then I do the fighting Panda in Tekken. But at least Johansson and Renner get to square off in the flick's best mano-a-mano battle, which is thrilling and wince-worthy because they're human and evenly matched—everyone else just slams each other against trees. Much of the movie is rotating video game mash-ups: Thor against Iron Man, Iron Man against Hulk, Hulk against Loki. It'd get monotonous if writer-director Joss Whedon hadn't written in literal punchlines—there's at least two face-smashes that get a loud laugh. And some of the best duels are mental, like a calculating showdown between Black Widow and Loki. They never touch, but the violence hums.

"You will be begging for another Incredible Hulk film after you've seen The Avengers. They finally characterize him like he's yet to be done. It's the Hulk we've been waiting for!!"
Around the 2:30 mark give or take.

I so can't wait to see HULK!!!
Captain Craig is online now   Reply With Quote