View Single Post
Old April 20 2012, 09:48 PM   #27
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Timby wrote: View Post
The reviews are intriguing, but I'm still waiting for something that says anything deeper than "I liked it, the characters did cool things." I have yet to see a single review that says anything about the cinematography, the visual effects, the direction, the actual filmmaking. I keep going back to that clip of Thor and Captain America fighting in the street, which breaks the 180 rule so hard that it makes my head spin. It all feels like a bunch of inconsequential, weightless action which exists for the sole purpose of arranging the titular characters in poses that make for good posters. All that it has going for it, so far, is, "Damn, wow, if you would have told me you'd see professional actors cosplaying and doing Jim Lee poses 10 or 15 years ago, I wouldn't have believed you! What strange times we live in!"

Maybe that's what people want, I don't know. But, again, all of the reviews that have come out since the embargo was lifted feel horribly superficial, much like how all the released footage of the film feels.
Nah, there have been plenty of scifi/superhero movies over the years with weightless, inconsequential action and characters who do nothing but strike cool poses (Underworld, Ghost Rider, Wolverine, etc), and the critics usually don't hesitate to point it out.

What's different this time (and what I see reflected in the reviews) is that Whedon makes the action genuinely exciting, because the characters have tons of charm and personality and we actually give a shit what happens to them. And unlike most overblown, CG-heavy action movies nowadays, it actually knows how to be fun and witty like a blockbuster should be.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote