View Single Post
Old April 19 2012, 11:41 PM   #56
Christopher
Writer

Re: DTI: Forgotten History by C. L. Bennett Review Thread (Spoilers!)

rfmcdpei wrote: View Post
My reaction was the former. I've read quite a bit of Trek literature, and I've watched all five of the different live series, all four save Enterprise in their entirety. I haven't watched TAS before, though. I don't know why I haven't done it before.I should.
Well, then, I've achieved what I was kind of trying to do. I think TAS is an underappreciated series, and since we're past the era when the studio licensing department expected us to tiptoe around TAS, I decided it was time to embrace it. (Although a large part of what motivated me was that I'd re-read Alan Dean Foster's Star Trek Log series shortly before I got the gig, so it was fresh in my mind.)

One reason is because elements of TAS (excluding "Yesteryear") have made it into Trek TV canon, never mind Trek literature.
It sounds to me like you meant to say few elements other than "Yesteryear" have made it in. There have been some subtle references in canon to things other than "Yesteryear." There is of course Kirk's middle name Tiberius, first established in TAS (as was Amanda's surname Grayson). The name of Kor's ship in "The Time Trap," Klothos, was made canonical in DS9. There have been several onscreen references to Edosian orchids or animals, based on Edos, Mr. Arex's homeworld according to behind-the-scenes material. And the felinoids in the UFP council chamber in ST IV were implicitly supposed to be Caitians (I gather). Also, Star Trek Remastered used the design of the cargo drones from "More Tribbles, More Troubles" as the basis for the Antares in "Charlie X" and the Woden in "The Ultimate Computer" as well as a background ship in "Court-martial."

Without providing spoilers, I can say that Forgotten History is the recent Trek novel that has the greatest amount of content derived from TAS.
Probably. That Which Divides makes significant use of Arex and M'Ress, but I cast a rather wider net than that. And those two aren't in FH, so the two books kind of complement each other TAS-reference-wise.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote