View Single Post
Old April 18 2012, 06:58 PM   #2417
Methos
First Officer: USS Aventine

View Methos's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Methos Send a message via Yahoo to Methos
Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

i was on the fence with the details about failure as well... since they're still quite new technology wise, there isn't enough data to accurately say if they're more prone to irretrievable data loss or not... it's something that is going to be figured out in time...

If you're like me, and use a LOT of data, you could do what i've done... use the SSD for Windows, Program files and stuff like that... so you get the massive speed benefits from the SSD, and then keep your other hard drives on the same system for the rest of your data... i automatically have a partition set up that exactly mirrors the SSD, so any changes i make to the SSD are automatically mirrored to the mirror partition every night... bit of an arse-about-face way of doing it, but that way i know if the fit hits the shan, then i've got an uptodate backup of my system and can just restore it to within 24 hours of the crash happening

M