View Single Post
Old April 17 2012, 01:44 PM   #537
Christopher
Writer

Re: "Castle" season 4 begins tonight

I didn't like this one much at all. Slaughter was just too broad and caricatured to be believed, every tough-cop movie cliche brought to life, right down to the name. I couldn't believe for a second that the NYPD would allow him to operate like that for any length of time. I could buy Castle writing a character like that, but the reality of anyone Castle uses as a character model should be more plausible than the fiction. This show is supposed to be about the reality behind the fiction, which is why it bothers me so much when it throws credibility out the window -- let alone when it becomes even more fanciful than the "actual" Nikki Heat novels, which are pretty grounded and realistic.

Also, other Firefly fans might not agree, but I was disappointed that Slaughter was too similar to Jayne. I mean, Castle is a profoundly different character from Mal Reynolds, so I would've liked to see Baldwin play a very different character as well, maybe have him be the smart, serious, ultra-professional one frustrated by Castle's antics -- although now that I write that down, I realize that would've made him too much like Beckett, so maybe not.

Always good to hear Michael Dorn's voice again, but it's startling how gaunt he's become these days. It's incongruous to hear that booming, powerful voice coming from such a frail-looking person. Is he still in good health?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote