View Single Post
Old April 16 2012, 01:20 PM   #30
23skidoo
Admiral

Re: My copy of Shada arrived today

^ I sort of wish they'd stop doing the remakes. I happened to like the original Dicks adaptation, and I honestly didn't like the new version of Stones of Blood and stopped listening about an hour in (mind you that was partly because I didn't care for the reading, which was done by one of the guest stars rather than someone like Tamm or Leeson). The idea of the audios was to make the original Targets available again. And while BBC Books is reprinting some of them, it'll probably be 2030 before they get around to reprinting the Key to Time books!

I sort of feel sorry for Terrance Dicks because these are his works being replaced. And while granted there are some Dicks novelisations which are so short they almost qualify as novellas rather than as novels (indeed some of the Quick Reads releases of recent years are longer), and as such could stand to be redone (Image of the Fendahl comes to mind) I never thought the Key to Time books were given short shrift. When they get around to doing an audio of Ribos Operation they better use the original text otherwise fans of the late Ian Marter will be plenty pissed.

Alex
"These are historical documents - preserving them is important. Tarting them up for a night out in the twenty-first century is unnecessary" - Toby Hadoke, "Should mistakes in old episodes of Doctor Who be fixed on DVD" (Doctor Who Magazine #445)
23skidoo is offline   Reply With Quote