View Single Post
Old April 16 2012, 05:13 AM   #21
davejames
Vice Admiral

Re: Cabin in the Woods - Grading, Discussion, Spoilers

Dark Gilligan wrote: View Post
stj wrote: View Post
Very clever.
Now see, I didn't find it clever at all. It was one Whedon trope after another, beginnig to end, as if he was winking at us everytime another one popped up. No spoilers, but anyone even remotely familiar with Whedon's body of work will know what I mean. After the closing credits my wife turned to me and said "I feel like we just watched a bad mash-up of Buffy and Dollhouse".
Yeah I'm a huge Whedon fan, but I just didn't find this nearly as clever or original as others apparently did. There were certainly a lot of laughs, but the Truman Show already did the manipulated reality thing, and the "demonic beast that has to be placated" thing was already done several times on Buffy and Angel.

From the hype I would have sworn there would be a LOT more twists and turns, but that's pretty much all there is-- there's a control center down below that is orchestrating everything, some kids find their way in and create a bunch of havoc, and... that's about it.

It was a decent, fun little lark, but I don't see anything terribly brilliant or game-changing about it.
davejames is offline   Reply With Quote