View Single Post
Old April 15 2012, 08:27 PM   #153
OdoWanKenobi
Ring Slinger

Re: The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Except those won't happen. Poison Ivy and Black Mask, both fairly prominent Batman villains are in the subscription line this year. They have said that females won't sell at retail, and you can forget about characters like Clock King, Alfred, or Ventriloquist. Those are guys in suits. The only villains that may ever see the light of day at retail are the Joker, Penguin, Two-Face, Riddler, Catwoman, and Lex Luthor because those are the only ones that moms know. Never mind the fact that the DC Universe package has always had the words "Adult Collector" right on the package. Mattel hates us and only want to sell to the moms and kids, who they think only want Batman and Superman. I guarantee you the average person on the street will at least have heard of Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman. But noooooo, those are just way too obscure.

At least DC Direct (or DC Collectibles, as they're now called) know what they're doing. Their quality has been shaky over the years, but has been getting consistently better lately. Their Green Lantern and Blackest Night waves were all pretty fantastic. It looks like they'll be the ones to get our DC toy fix from now. The only downside is the slightly larger scale than DCUC. Some are easy to fudge, though. I have several DC Direct Lanterns mixed in with my DCUC ones.