Ok, first thing you should do is change the power preset.
By your discription you have the starter balanced power setting which is crap without spending a lot if skill points inter power output.
Put weapons power to max.
There is a manual way to set it but for starters use the attack preset.
That alone should make your weapons worthwhile for now.
The you most likely have two beam arrays and a torpedo in front.
What you need to do is broadside the target. Beam arrays have overlaying firing arcs, so you can double your energy damage.
Use torpedos mainly to shoot the target when it's shield facing is gone.
Against s bare hull the torpedos do a lot more damage than beams while being near useless against shields.
That's the reason you shouldn't run pure torpedo boats because you can't get the shields down with them.
Get back to us when you need more advice.
Abd make sure to let us now your name@handle to invite you to the fleet.
My STO name is spektre76. Yeah I figured out the weapons power thing today and thanks to your advice about facing the target where my weapon banks are helped me complete my mission. I've been swatting Birds of Prey
out of space all day long, LOL.
OH TO THOSE WHO BOUGHT STARSHIPS AT THE C-STORE.
- You DO NOT NEED to buy two ship slots. Just press 'U' on your keyboard.
- Then look for a Star Fleet Communicator style logo.
- Double click and click 'Commission'.
- The just name her and give her an NCC # that starts with '9'.
- Then warp to the Sol System and dock with Earth Space Dock
- Go to the Ship Yard Requistions and you'll see your new ship.
I've been enjoying my NX-01 for six hours now! I can't wait to hit LCDR-01 so I can get a Starship token and get my 'Akira' class ship.