View Single Post
Old April 14 2012, 05:48 AM   #40
JD
Admiral

Re: Vanguard: Harbinger by David Mack Review Thread (Spoilers!)

Skywalker wrote: View Post
I just finished earlier this evening, and I wish I'd read this book years ago, because I loved it! I think part of the reason I was so hesitant to try Vanguard was because the TOS era generally doesn't interest me all that much, but I could only ignore the glowing reviews for so long.

I enjoyed pretty much the entire cast of characters, particularly Tim Pennington and Cervantes Quinn. While I can't say I completely sympathized with Pennington every step of the way (which I figure was intentional), I found his storyline interesting and I enjoyed following his investigation of the Bombay's destruction. I also appreciated having a civilian as a major POV character, it was a nice change of pace from the norm. That's also part of the reason why I enjoyed Cervantes Quinn, but I'll admit that another big part of that was just because I love smartaleck characters of any type.

I did like Diego Reyes, but he didn't quite 'grab' me like I was expecting him to do, considering he's technically the "leading man." But Vanguard seems to be more of an ensemble than most Trek, so I wasn't too worried about it. His relationship with Rana Desai was interesting, and I like having a JAG officer as part of the main cast. I also enjoyed Zeke Fisher's kind of laid-back, easygoing personality, and I got a kick out of watching his plans for retirement completely fall apart. As for T'Prynn, I wouldn't exactly say I like her, but I do find her intriguing.

As I was reading Harbinger, I actually kind of felt like I was watching a two-hour pilot for a TV series. That's just how it felt for me. I don't know if that was intentional on David Mack's part, given his TV background, but either way I think it actually enhanced my enjoyment of the novel.
Honestly, I had a lot of the same feelings about the characters during Harbinger, but by the end of Summon the Thunder, I had fallen for everybody, including Reyes and T'Prynn. At this point, I love them just as much as the TNG and DS9 casts.