View Single Post
Old April 12 2012, 09:02 AM   #493
Harvey
Admiral

Re: Movies Seen in 2012

53. We The Party (C-)

We The Party: I like Mario Van Peebles as a writer/director. BAADASSSSS! (about his father and the making of Sweet Sweetback's Baadasssss Song) was a terrific movie.

Compared to that success, however, this film is a mess. In a review at the A.V. Club, Alison Willmore writes that the film, "is a typical high-school movie set in a high school that’s atypical, in terms of what normally gets put onscreen." I think she's right, but beyond lauding the film for featuring a mainly black cast of characters (and mostly upper-middle class ones, at that!), it's hard to get around the fact that it's a high school movie rife with every cliché you can think of (and probably a few that you can't). It's not offensive by any stretch of the imagination, but it could have been so, so much more.

Other critics have been less than kind about the young actors that star in this movie, but I thought they were fine. You can only do so much with the material. Honestly, I saw this ages ago on a screener, and was surprised to see that it in theaters at all. Hopefully it makes it's money back (it didn't look expensive at all) and Van Peebles can move on to bigger and better things.

Theatres: 20
Home Video: 30
Computer: 3 +1

I need to sit down and watch a good movie soon. It feels like it's been ages.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote