View Single Post
Old April 12 2012, 12:03 AM   #1199
Pauln6
Rear Admiral

Re: X-MEN: FIRST CLASS - Grading+Discussion **SPOILERS!**

Ian Keldon wrote: View Post
Pauln6 wrote: View Post
However, dark, moody, character-driven, and minimal special effects is how I would prefer my hero movies. I'm nervous that the clips from the Avengers look too fast-cut and CGI laden. If too much of the movie is like that, it won't be good.
Might want to consider another franchise then...we are talking about the Avengers here...you know? Earth's Mightiest Heroes?

A genius billionaire philanthropist playboy, a demigod, a Living Legend, and 2-3 members of the world's premiere super-spy agency simply do not add up to "dark, moody, and minimal"...
Lol - the X-men is at its best when it's at its darkest. As for the other franchises, I wouldn't want every hero franchise to be dark and moody. I think each one has to be judged on its merits. Wolverine was dreadful when they sanitised it and dumbed it down. The Hulk movies were enjoyable for what I view as a fairly limited premise. I liked Daredevil mostly but Elektra was dumbed down in the same way as Wolverine.

Spiderman 1 & 2 were note perfect while in Spiderman 3 they forced a Venom showdown into a movie where he should have been the teaser at the end. With Peter & Mary Jane split up Spiderman 4 would have written itself with room for Gwen Stacey and the Black Cat to come on the scene too.

Iron Man 1 was probably the most perfect of the adptations so far. I've no idea how well it reflected the comics but it was a hoot. IM2 was pretty good too.

I've never been a fan of the Avengers although I am a fan of Captain America. I thought they did a great job with Thor and Cap - they may not be everybody's cup of tea but they did a good job with the material the characters produce.

Avengers is more of an unknown quantity. They should not be trying to make a movie for comic fans, they should be making a movie for the wider audience that is also enjoyable for comic fans. I think they might have bitten off more than they can chew... but their track record has been reasonable so far.

However, after the success of shows like Alias and 24, I could see a TV show featuring the low-powered Avengers (i.e. minimal special effects) working really well. Cap, Falcon, Widow, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Nomad/Winter Soldier, Diamondback, even good old Demolition Man could form a decent SHIELD Mission Impossible team for TV...

I do think Cap's army helmet looked way better than his dodgy cowl though.

Other Worlds Role Playing Game
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/produc...ducts_id=97631
Pauln6 is offline   Reply With Quote