View Single Post
Old April 11 2012, 12:45 PM   #105
LtChange
Commander

Re: Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV?

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Nielsens are only one factor in TV right now. HBO and Showtime don't care about Nielsens because they have no advertisers to please. They do care about ratings as an indicator that a show can attract and retain subscribers and they care a lot more about a show's "buzz" (among critics and the general public) than broadcast networks do.

The changes to TV will be this:

A lot of what we know as "TV" won't change at all, or will change incrementally.

The new kids (Google, YouTube, Yahoo, Netflix, et al) will be different from traditional TV in being (generally) cheaper, nichier, far more abundant, and with more of an interactive element, ranging from minor (comments) to major (scripted dramas that merge with games at the extreme end of the spectrum.)

This will result in a huge range in quality, subject matter and form to sort through, so success depends heavily on people having access to powerful search tools.
My biggest fears about the new kids is the fact that they region lock almost everything that is interesting. Take exemple the BSG webisodes, or SG:U Kino episodes: they are all region locked without European distribution. Now, I'm in a more stupid position, because I'm from Romania so: no iTunes TV Shows for me at all, no Netflix at all, no YouTube in some exclusive YouTube distribution channels so in the case that a new Trek series is coming out in new media, I have to wait for a potential blu-ray release, so I can order that from the states and hoping to be region free (The Ark of Truth comes in my mind" I waited for that one like hell, but guess what: there is no European blu-ray distribution, and the US version is Region locked, so no HD version of The Ark of Truth for me)... So I'm mixed with the whole new media thingy until I can see an effort to make global release possible somehow. i get it that licensing old stuff is hard, because of the distribution agreements of the past, but they should really focus in future distribution agreements that Internet isn't made up from the US and 15 EU countries, because you got 196 in the world (something that iTunes, Xbox marketplace, Netflix, Sony PSN and a lot of others don't get: there is money in the rest of the world too not just in the US, Japan, canada and about 15 EU countries ... ). I just hate that I have to make stupid cheats to get to my digital content legally and they say that piracy is high, but they are the ones that make piracy possible. They want to push ACTA through the European Parliament so that somebody downloads a movie to be considered a thief and eligible to punishment without state borders, but they don't want to offer me the legal possibility to download in the first place for some of the content legally by IP blocking ...
LtChange is offline   Reply With Quote