View Single Post
Old April 10 2012, 07:20 AM   #157
Saul
Rear Admiral

Re: Enterprise: The Romulan War: To Brave the Storm review thread

Mr. Laser Beam wrote: View Post
^ Must be a lot of fanon that got it wrong, though, and assumed that it was a Federation-Romulan War. The TOS Tech Manual does this (they give the text of the peace treaty, which clearly mentioned the Federation).
Well the Star Trek Chronology seemed to state that it was Federation Vs Romulans and Starfleet was established after that... 'Enterprise' switched that around and Starfleet came first.

As for the Book. Well the First Romulan War Novel takes place over a year. Even if this was a trilogy it's still a bit of a squeeze. I got the impression that maybe, just maybe that if these books were successful we'd get a book for each year of the war. But frankly why not try to plan it out better from the beginning? I remember when it was first announced it was either going to be a single book on the war, two books or possible 3. Having the first book explore only the first year of the war would naturally put pressure on any sequel novel that needed to tell the story. Where as I thought Book 1 was too spread out Book 2 is too condensed. There are a lot of things I like about it and it covers the bases but it just doesn't come across as a big War storyline. It feels like a small scale War. The looming threat of the Romulans isn't felt so much.