View Single Post
Old April 9 2012, 07:12 PM   #66
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Re: The Legend of Korra - Book One: Air

Christopher wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Those other monks in the temple couldn't have been air benders. Bending is hereditary, so Tenzin and his kids should be the only air benders, unless Katara had other kids with bending capabilities.
According to the Avatar Wiki, Aang and Katara's first two children -- named Kya (for Katara's mother) and Bumi -- were non-benders. So Tenzin is the only living adult airbender, though all three of his children so far are also airbenders. Korra did say in chapter 1 that Tenzin was the only airbending master in the world.

I'm surprised that it worked out that way, though. I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability. So I figured he could've created hundreds of airbenders that way, instead of having to repopulate the line the old-fashioned way. I guess that's not the way it works, though, and I wonder why.
"I figured that if Aang's spirit-bending could let him take away someone's bending ability, it could also let him imbue someone with bending ability." - That's a rather large assumption.
For a comparison - it's easy to turn a cow into hamburgers; the other way around, all but impossible.